Thursday, January 14, 2010

Security Guard Story

I had a bad experience with a security guard in one of the buildings in Ayala.
In order to protect the building management, I removed name of the building and the guard.
The purpose of this entry is to keep you guys on guard and be aware of the protocols of proper security.

Sharing with you the Incident Report I filed to the Property Manager.

Dear Sir:

I would like to file a complaint against one of the security guards in the building premises, namely ______. I experienced his improper and physically-harassing behavior this morning.

It was a few minutes before 8AM when I entered _____ building with a happy and positive attitude. I was wearing a personal ID, since my company ID is still not available, as advised by HR. I had been working for ______ for more than 3 months, and my company ID is still in the process of being released.

Then came the disaster. He asked me where I was going and I replied that I’m going to ______, Nth Floor. He required me to register, but I responded that there was no one in the reception and the delay waiting for the person-in-charge would cause my tardiness. I walked straight to the elevator and was about to enter it, when 2 strong hands locked my upper body – one stretched in front and the other stretched in the back, as if hugging me with outstretched hand. Thus I was trapped between his big body and the cold wall. Alarmed and surprised, I struggled and told him to let me go. He forcefully refused to let go and this went on for 5 seconds. He even left his post on the building entrance letting other people enter just to do this to me in the elevator door. Giving up, I gave my ID and registered. But I asked him to come with me to the management or to our HR so I can explain my predicament, and he replied disrespectfully.

I: Anong pangalan mo
Guard: Eto oh! Hindi mo ba nakikita! (arrogant tone)

I feel strongly harassed and humiliated by this security guard. It was a horrible incident and it affected my work performance, also feeling that the building premises of ____ were not safe already. Although there are ____ security guards who are respectful and friendly, this was not the first time I heard and saw a disrespectful and rude security guard in this building.

Security guards from other buildings observe the ID rules, but they are respectful and do not physically torture the building tenants. We are willing to abide by the rules of the building premises, but please do not allow these guards to verbally and physically harass the tenants.

Hoping for your immediate response and action on this matter.

Thank you so much.

Action:
The Building Property Manager delegated proper handling to the Security Head.
The Head and the security guard himself visited me in the office to apologize, stating that he was supposed to be until 10PM only, but he extended overtime until 8AM. (excuse) They were both apologetic for the harsh mishandling.

For everyone's info, it is a protocol that after we have identified our destination company and floor, security guards SHOULD NOT leave their post to run after us, more even PHYSICALLY struggle with us. What's more, a six-footer tall man with a heavy build should never verbally and physically harrass a lady who doesn't look suspicious at all.

I was advised to raise it to our Legal Department to terminate the guard's employment, but I don't want that to happen. The sight of his wife and children suddenly flashed in my mind. In the end, we ended up shaking hands, and him saying "Ngayon mam natatandaan ko na mukha mo, hindi na kita haharangin."

6 comments:

amor said...

wow! sexual harassment ang ginawa nya. wala naman sya reason to attack you physically kung walang reason.. hope ur okay now.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Amiable fill someone in on and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you on your information.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bess said...

I know. =c Good thing it ended with lesson learned for all.